Silence encourages bullying behaviour. Thank your child for having the courage to tell you about it. A warm, non-judgemental manner will set the stage for this discussion. Model caring and concern for others. This will serve your child well in the future.
Stay calm and get the facts.
- Find out the names of those involved.
- Get the sequence of events / behaviours / frequency of harassment.
- Get the circumstances and location.
Stress that it takes courage to report bullying and harassment.
- Those who witness bullying and harassment have the most power to stop it.
Contact the school.
- Support your child in reporting incidents of bullying and harassment to responsible adults in the school.
- Reaffirm the expectation that it is your child’s responsibility to help make the school safe and caring for everyone.