YOUTH PERSPECTIVES: Choosing A University or College

safeandcaringYouth PerspectivesLeave a Comment

It’s that time of year. Many high school students are beginning to make some hard decisions about what to do after graduation. The decision of whether to go to university or college, and if so, where to go, is an important and challenging decision.

Safe and Caring asked our Youth Partner Logan Peters to share a bit about her own experience and things that she looked for when choosing to attend Mount Royal University.

Logan PetersI Love my Mount Royal University

by: Logan Peters

Choosing a post-secondary school can be a challenge; I know all about that. I spent months researching Canadian universities until I gave up and decided to take a year off after high school to work.

Before choosing a university, some important questions to ask yourself are; Do I know what I want to study? Am I willing to relocate? Am I ready to work hard?

Now I know what you’re thinking…

These questions freak you out! They stress you out! They make you shut down! Your school teachers make you think about these questions every single day and you still have no idea what you want to study.

You’re in luck my friend, Mount Royal University has two programs that are perfect for the undecided.  Lets face it, the majority of high school students have no clue what they want to do after they’re done school.

1. In case you want to explore your options, the University Entrance Option program is an excellent way to get your foot in the door and explore possibilities while taking university-credited classes! This program is PRIME for upgrading any high school classes that you may have slacked off in. Here is a link for University Entrance Option.
  2. Another program you may want to look into is Open Studies. Open studies also allows you to explore your options and take random courses in order to find out what you like. All University credited programs will benefit you in the long run, no matter what major you choose. Here is a link for Open Studies.

Not only is Mount Royal a perfect school to discover your calling in, it also has a beautiful campus and was featured in the Huffington Post article titled “Most Beautiful University Campuses in Canada” Check it out here!

Fun facts about MRU

MRU has small class sizes; perfect for a student who needs a more hands on approach to learning. (Approx. 20-40 students)

• MRU has a gym, climbing wall, swimming pool, and so much more.
  • MRU has clubs galore! If you love video games; there’s a club for that. If you like reading; there’s a club for that. If you like skiing/snowboarding; yup, there’s a club for that too.
  • MRU has quiet study spaces all over campus
  • Professors at MRU make it their goal to give you the help you need
  • There is a campus bar called The Hub, which features events and concerts.
  • Food trucks are often parked outside of school, YUM!