Orange Shirt Day is on Monday, September 30, 2019
Orange Shirt Day is just one of many opportunities we have throughout the year to grow our understanding, and to show our support towards reconciliation. Safe and Caring Schools and Communities is proud to lead the Orange Shirt Program in Alberta throughout the year.
Our 2019 Logo Contest is Now Open!
Submission Deadline Friday May 17, 2019
- Contest is open to all Alberta students
- Designs must be original artwork
- Participation grants Safe and Caring the rights to reproduce artwork
- Entries must be submitted by May 17, 2019
Submit logos and completed submission form by email to:
by mail to:
Safe and Caring Schools & Communities
11010-142 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5N 2R1
KEEP IN MIND
- The logo will appear on official orange t-shirts, print materials and online.
- The logo must be able to scale in size for smaller formats
- The official title for the Orange Shirt Initiative is “Every Child Matters” you are welcome to include this text in your design, but it is not mandatory.
- The winning logo will be printed in black on an orange shirt.
What is the Orange Shirt Program?
Orange Shirt Day is September 30
Orange Shirt Day is a growing movement of reconciliation, and legacy of the 2013 St. Joseph Mission residential school commemoration event, held in Williams Lake, B.C. It grew out of a former student’s account of having her brand-new orange shirt taken away on her first day of school.
Wearing an Orange Shirt is meant to recognize the harm done to residential school students, and show a commitment to the principle that every child matters.
A date in September was chosen because it is the time of year when children were taken from their homes to residential schools, and because it is an opportunity to set the stage for anti-racism and anti-bullying policies for the coming school year.
Orange Shirt Day is an opportunity for First Nations, local governments, schools, and communities to come together in the spirit of reconciliation and hope for generations of children to come.
Thank you to our Sponsors!