Edmonton, AB: May 5-9 is Mental Health Awareness Week and May 7th is National Child and Youth Mental Health Day. We invite members of the media to join our collective voice supporting children’s mental health throughout the week of May 5-9, by showing children “I Care About You”. We ask that you share information about the week and encourage participation in one or all of the week’s activities.
- Monday: Media Day – Help us set the stage for the week and begin a public conversation about mental health.
- Tuesday: Coffee Conversation – Take a few moments with a friend or colleague to watch a video and build your own understanding about how to better support children and youth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urU-a_FsS5Y
- Wednesday: Wear a hat! When people compliment you or ask you why, you will be presented with the opportunity to share your support of mental health awareness.
- Thursday: Dedicate time for Family Hour. Spend meaningful time building healthy family relationships by playing a game, going for a walk, sharing a meal together, etc.
- Friday: Share your week’s experiences! Using #care4u, share how you supported children, families and the community throughout the week.
Each of these activities will engage and encourage individuals, families, schools and the community to support positive mental health for our children and youth. Specific community and school events are also planned for the week and representatives from the partnership are available for interview.
For further information please visit www.safeandcaring.ca. Questions and interview coordination may be directed to Lana Tordoff, communications contact, at 780.297.7309.
About Safe and Caring
The Society for Safe and Caring Schools & Communities (Safe and Caring) is a not-for-profit organization which builds community capacity to prevent bullying, violence and exploitation of children and youth through the promotion of healthy relationships. As a centre of excellence, Safe and Caring fosters effective networks and partnerships to improve the quality of life for all Alberta children and youth. For more information about Safe and Caring, visit www.safeandcaring.ca
For media inquiries, please contact:
Meaghan Trewin, Marketing and Communications Officer
Safe and Caring