COMMUNITY: Positive Post–It Day, October 5, 2015

safeandcaringCommunityLeave a Comment

by: Meaghan Trewin, Communications Advisor

What is International Positive Post–It Day?
Positive Post–It Day started in Airdrie, Alberta, when high school student Caitlin Haacke decided to fight back against online bullying by posting notes with compliments on every locker in her school. The positive post–it movement soon took off—in Caitlin’s school, in the Airdrie community, and on social media. This year, schools and communities around the world are celebrating Positive Post–It Day on October 5.

Are you interested in getting involved? Here are some ideas on how to plan your own day of positivity at school, in the classroom, at the office, at home, or on social media.

Celebrating in your school
Designate one area to be your “Wall of Positivity”—mark it with a sign or cover it with paper. Distribute sticky notes to classrooms and announce the day during morning announcements. Post–it messages can be anything with a positive message, directed at a specific person, or at the school community in general! Give students examples, such as “you have a great smile” “thanks for tutoring me in algebra” or “I love my school.” Encourage students and teachers to stop by the wall to post their messages and to read others’ notes. At the end of the day, read a sample of ten messages over the P.A. system.

Celebrating in your classroom
Bring sticky notes into your classroom and distribute to students. The more colourful the sticky notes, the better! Divide students into small groups and ask them to write one positive thing about each person in their group and post it on their desk.

Celebrating in your office
Work with human resources or your office manager to create a designated post–it wall in a common area, such as the lunch room. Send a memo to your coworkers a few days beforehand to let them know about the wall, explain the day and encourage participation. If there aren’t any available common spaces, post messages directly onto coworkers’ cubicle walls and office doors. Take advantage of this opportunity to build office moral and plan an office potluck or happy hour to extend the festivities.

Celebrating in your home
Write short, sweet, and positive messages and hide them in your family members’ backpacks, purses, briefcases, coats, or lunches.

Celebrating online
Snap a picture of your positive post–it and share it on Twitter or Facebook, using the hashtag #positivepostitday. Mention @SafeandCaring and we will retweet you!

365 days of kindness
If you miss October 5, don’t worry! There are lots of opportunities to celebrate kindness and positivity throughout the year.

• Random Acts of Kindness Day: November 13, 2015
  • National Bullying Awareness Week: November 15-21, 2015
  • Random Acts of Kindness Week: February 14-20, 2016
  • Year round!

Now stock up on some sticky notes and start spreading some joy!

This article appeared in our Fall 2015 News Bulletin. Click here to read the rest of the bulletin!