GUEST POST: Calling All Student Leaders!

safeandcaringCall for Submissions, Guest PostLeave a Comment

Guest Post by: the Alberta Education Speak Out Team

Speak_Out_Logo_sub_offAlberta Education recognizes that students have a valuable perspective when it comes to their education.  Speak Out – the Alberta Student Engagement Initiative is committed to supporting students and schools in increasing Alberta youth’s engagement in their education and improving student learning experiences, both at the local and provincial levels.

Through the Minister’s Student Advisory Council (MSAC), students can get involved in decision making, connect with other students, grow as a leader and become the student voice in their community.  As ambassadors of Speak Out students will share their voice collaboratively alongside all education partners, including teachers, principals, superintendents and government staff, to enhance the education system.

The MSAC consists of 24 to 30 youth between the ages of 14 and 19 years old.  Council members are selected based on a diversity of backgrounds, opinions, experiences and every attempt is made to have representation from each zone.  Check out what these students had to say about their involvement in “Why I Do It”.

Help promote this provincial initiative by sharing this information with your school leadership and with youth in your school and community. Applications for the 2014-2015 MSAC are currently being accepted, the deadline is Friday, May 30, 2014 at 4:30 pm.  A complete application needs to include a completed consent form which can be submittedby email, mail or fax.

For additional information about MSAC or Speak Out, please visit the Speak Out website or contact the Speak Out Team at speakout@gov.ab.ca.